GZ 1500x issue - no solar input

Options
DM6009
DM6009 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hiya,

Our 1500x is not acknowledging solar input. Via multimeter, over 20 volts are coming in but nothing registers as input and no charge occurs. The GZ does accept AC charge. I have done multiple resets but no change occurs. Wiggling the input wire doesn’t change anything and I don’t know what else to do. Please help.

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 291 admin
    Options

@DM6009,

Thanks for checking the voltage of the solar with a DMM! That is super helpful info!

There are lots of combinations of solar that can be used with the 1500X including 3rd party brands.

Please help me see your setup by providing more information:

1. What Firmware versions are running on the 1500X?
    2. Can you please include a picture of the setup?
    3. What brand and model of solar panel are you using?
    4. Which 1500X port is the solar panel is not working with? ( 8mm front, 8mm lid, HPP front )
    5. Is the Solar panel still not showing watts in or increasing charge% after 30 minutes when it is totally un-shaded, clean and directly facing the sun outdoors on a cloudless clear sky at noon?
    6. Has the Solar Panel ever worked with this 1500X or any other power station ever?
    7. Which brand, model/wattage is the power supply and which 1500X port it does work with?
    8. Is there anything else you can tell me to help me better understand the context and history of the setup you have and the issue you are now facing?
  • DM6009
    DM6009 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

JG - thanks for the quick response.

It’s running 1.3 firmware and despite a lot of attempts, will not update to 1.7.6. I’ve tried via direct connect and connect anywhere via the iOS app and it fails each time. When direct connected, it beeps twice but eventually fails - that’s as close as I’ve been able to get it.

The GZ came in a Scout Kenai camper as the default setup. The solar panel is a 175 watt Renogy flexible panel. I can upload a pic later but I have made no changes to the original setup from Scout. The GZ and solar panel worked previously for a year and has just stopped after its first constant 10 days of use (only weekends of use previously). I’m currently in a hotel room charging it so we can get back on the road for the rest of our trip…

With hours of direct sunlight, it still won’t accept any charge. I’m using the HPP front input for solar and it will not work.

The 8mm lid input accepts AC power no trouble using the GZ AC power adapter it came with.

is there anyway to update the firmware over a cellular connection? The WiFi I’m on is a hotel WiFi and doesn’t have a password - I’m wondering if that’s the issue with the firmware update fails but I can’t find an option to update the firmware without the WiFi network and password prompts.

Again, I appreciate your help here. My opportunity to enjoy cold beer and unspoiled food for the next two weeks depends on your help! 😀

DM.

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 291 admin
    Options

@DM6009,

There are multiple micro controllers inside the Yeti. Do you get non-zero values for all 3 when checking the FW version(see link in my first post to see how to do this and what each position on the screen represents)?

If one of the versions shows 0, its not communicating with the main controller. If the top left value is the one showing 0 you may have a bad Charge controller(aka MPPT for this unit) or the cord that connects the MPPT comms to the mainboard on the front has come loose or is bad and you will need to get the Yeti serviced or replaced if you still have warranty time left.

Does that help?