Solar Input Disables Other 12V Inputs - Expected Behavior?

Options
SkyG
SkyG Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

Something I just noticed, and I don't know if this is a limitation of the Goal Zero, or if there is something wrong with my unit. When my solar panels are plugged in, even if they are making BARELY any wattage at the end of the day, the 12V inlet from the 120V power brick seems to be disabled. The moment I disconnect the solar, suddenly the unit is drawing the expected 120W in from the brick. Plug the solar back in, the input wattage drops to ~10 watts. Is this how it's always been and I just noticed it, or is there something wrong with my unit?

Answers

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 292 admin
    Options

@SkyG,

This is to be expected. The HPP port takes priority over the 8mm ports. Both can't be charging at the same time becuase they have different hardware limits but share the same path to the battery, If there is any voltage detected on the HPP, the 8mm ports will be disabled until the HPP voltage goes away.

If you want more power in than the 600W max the HPP port allows, add a Link to the expansion module. It can take in 120W through its 8mm port and even more when you connect it to Tanks or Your Alternator for a max input of 1000W+ for the 6000X. See the Link product page for more (Also search for 30 Amp MPPT, it allows more solar into the Tanks)

• SkyG
    Options

I understand, that makes sense, thank you! Does this same restriction apply to the Link Expansion Module? If the Yeti sees input on the HPP port, is the expansion module input disabled?

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 292 admin
    Options

@SkyG,

The Expansion port that the Link connects to bypasses the Yeti's charge controller and connects directly to the lithium pack. Because of this, the HPP port priority logic does not apply. You can charge from the Link and the HPP at the same time!

• SkyG
    Options

Great....then I think my Link module is broken lol, because I have one but it no longer seems to feed the Yeti. At least I understand what the expected behavior is, many thanks!