Travel Trailer integration w/1000x

Options
DickWhite
DickWhite Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

I have a small travel trailer and use my 1000x primarily for a cpap and Starlink connection. I'd love to integrate the trailers 2 lead acid RV/Marine deepcycle batteries (12v) into the 1000x. Will the vehicle integration kit effectively turn the trailer batteries into an additional tank. These are charged by, shore power, solar (100w) and while driving from the truck. Thinking of adding a Perko Switch to isolate as an option. The onboard batteries rarely get drained.

I also recently purchased an additional 200w of GZ solar panels and combiner kit for additional charging power. Could this be used to charge the 1000x and house batteries.

Answers

• DankHill
    DankHill Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 7 admin
    Options

Yes! They will function as additional tanks (as long as the Link from the vehicle integration kit is set to tank mode). Your charging sources would best be maximized having the GZ solar panels input to the input port on the Yeti with your deep cycle batteries getting their charge from the shore/100W of solar/ alternator as you stated above. In this configuration, the Yeti will prioritize taking an input from the deep cycle batteries and will only accept the 200W of GZ solar when the deep cycle batteries are discharged or unavailable.

Alternatively, you could input the GZ solar into the Link module directly (the method of which is dependent on the specific GZ panels you own). However, this method would bottleneck the input from these to 120W, and is not done through an MPPT charge controller meaning you'd be getting much less power from the solar panels than they are capable of outputting.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

• DickWhite
    DickWhite Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. All good info. Putting aside the trailer batteries, would you recommend an MPPT controller if using 2 100w and possible a 3rd 100w portable panel to charge the 1000x without a Link Module? I have a 3 way combiner for these panels.

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @DickWhite,

There is not need to add the MPPT module as the Yeti 1000X already comes with an MPPT integrated into it. You will just need to plug your panels into the HPP input port of the Yeti.