Charging a Yeti 1500X on cloudy days.

Options
MJH
MJH Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

I'm looking for alternatives to charge my Yeti 1500X on cloudy days. For example, could a XHNCXHX Hand Crank Generator be used. Thanks.

Best Answer

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @MJH,

If it comes with bare wires, you will need to connect an Anderson Power Pole connection to match the HPP connection on the Yeti 1500X. If it comes with a connection type already, you will need to change the connection to the HPP connection on the Yeti.

Possibly charging from a vehicle is the only other recommendation we make at this time with this unit. Third party charging devices like this typically have a hard time charging power stations due to their large range in voltage and inconsistency when it comes to producing voltage.

Answers

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    Options

Hi @MJH,

This would be possible but you would need to make sure the voltage being produced is consistently above 14V. If it is not, the Yeti will not take a charge.

Also keep in mind, that the max the hand crank generator can produce is 100W, so it may take some time to produce enough to properly charge the unit.

• MJH
    Options

Thanks. How would you connect this to the Yeti? Any other alternate charging device recommendations?

• MJH
    Options

Can the following be used for cloudy day backup charging: TogoPower Portable Generator, 1000W Gasoline Powered Generator for Backup Home Use Camping Outdoors?

The TogoPower generator has 120v AC output. So can I use the Goal Zero wall-charger to charge my Yeti 1500X with the TogoPower Generator? Thanks, Mike

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    Options

Hi @MJH,

Yes. The power supply that the Yeti comes with maxes out at 120W. The gas generator should be able to handle that much power.

• MJH
    Options

Regarding "charging from a vehicle", if using a Goal Zero Regulated Lithium Yeti Car Charger:

1. Does the car need to be driven, or can the Yeti be charged with the car idling?
    2. Does the charger work for Yeti 1500X?
    3. How long to recharge the Yeti?
  • GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    Options

Hi @MJH,

1. The car charging cable will work as long as the car is on and the port it is connected to is active. The car does not have to be driven for it to provide power.
    2. It does work with the Yeti 1500X.
    3. If the Yeti is charging from empty to full, it would take approximately 12.5 hours if on the 10A setting or 25 hours on the 5A setting.