Chain Nomad 100's to Yeti 500x

Options
Coach3bilz
Coach3bilz Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

Can you chain multiple Nomad 100's to the Yeti 500X? It doesn't have an HPP to plug the combiner into.

Comments

• jg164
    jg164 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 291 admin
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Coach3bilz,

From the FAQ on the Nomad 100 product page:

Can I chain my Nomads?

The Nomad 5 and Nomad 10 solar panels are not chainable. The Nomad 20 and 50 can be chained using the 8mm chaining input port on the back of the panel up to 150W. When chaining Nomad 50s (over 150W) or Nomad 100s we recommend using the 8mm to HPP Combiner Cable. To chain multiple Nomad Solar Panels together with HPP connections, you’ll need to purchase the 4x High Power Port Combiner to High Power Port Connector (SKU 98061) from Goal Zero.

You can then convert the HPP back to 8mm with this:

High Power Port To 8mm Connector – Goal Zero

I am not 100% sure but I think you could also just plug one Nomad 100 in the rear 8mm port and the other on into the front 8mm port.

• Coach3bilz
    Options

I thought about that after I posted this. Now I am looking at plugging a Nomad 200 into the back and a 100 into the front. Mostly to keep a charge on the 500x while its being used. Any thoughts on this combo?

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @Coach3bilz,

The Yeti 500X will not accept input from both the front and back port. When two charging sources are connected to each, the Yeti will prioritize the front port over the back port.

• Coach3bilz
    Options

Thank you @GOAL ZERO ADMIN!!

I have seen that it is possible to chain a Nomad 100 to a Nomad 50. Is it possible to add more Nomad 50's than just one?

For example, a Nomad 100 to four 50's? For a total possible input of 300w to match the max output of the station?

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @Coach3bilz,

This is possible to do with our combiner cable but would not be usable on the Yeti 500X. The Yeti 500X maxes out at 120W. Even if you were to do what you described above, you would not receive any added benefit to the Yeti 500X.