Sherpa 100AC remaining capacity issue

Options
sverd
sverd Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hello,

I've been using a Sherpa 100AC for a bit more than two years now. It's been 1 or 2 months that it started to show a strange behaviour when charging or being used to charge devices (mainly smartphones). At first, it refused to go below 12% and, instead of showing a message telling "battery empty", it turned off automatically, and would not display anything unless being charged a bit. Then when charging it, it would stop charging at 90% (input at 0wh).

More recently, it would automatically turn off at 30% when being discharged. I resetted it but it doesn't seem to change anything. I'm well aware that the battery loses capacity over time, but I would expect it to continue going from ~4-5% to 100%, knowing that 1% would no longer be around 1wh but slightly less.

Cycle count is at 192. Firmware is 3.18 (I'm not sure if there is a way to update it).

Is there something to perform on the unit to calibrate it or help it know its boundaries ?

Thanks

Answers

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @sverd,

Cycling the battery 6-8 times typically will help calibrate the information shared between the display and the battery. We do this with our Yeti power stations when they haven't been used for more than a month.

• sverd
    sverd Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Hi,

Thank your for your reply. I've attempted many things but still the same problem. For example currently, my unit goes to 99% charge, then when I plug my phone to charge it, the Sherpa 100AC goes down to 82% then turns off (no display, even if I press on the power button). Of course the phone stops charging.

In some situations, depending on the phone being charged, when the sherpa turns off, the port configuration is reset, for example I generally set the second usb-c port as output only, then it automatically switches to auto and the sherpa starts draining my phone's battery. If I plug the phone to one of the USB type A ports, the sherpa just turns off and won't turn off unless I charge it, even if it previously had 82% battery remaining.

This is really annoying as I can't even charge my phone once. For a 2 years old battery, it's not really satisfying.

Is there something to do ?