Yeti Link update to firmware 1.8.4 LED flashes Red

Options
sunfuel
sunfuel Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

I have a unique setup where I use the alternator to charge an isolated AGM battery in my Transit Van. This battery is then connected to the 6000x with the Yeti Link in Tank mode.

Since the latest update, I am now having the 4 LED lights on the Yeti Link flash red. This started to happen after the firmware update to 1.8.4

Looking at the Firmware release notes it mentions:

• Yeti Link v1.8.4
    • Fixes bug restoring saved mode after reboot
    • Adds support for vehicles with Smart Alternators
    • Adds detection/protection for bad cabling in Tank mode

@GOAL ZERO ADMIN can you list the actual changes for "bad cabling" detection?

I would like for the allowed voltage fluctuation in Tank mode to allow for voltage swing from 12 to 16. I guess this is the case when in Car mode, just need to match that in Tank mode.

It seems that the fluctuation from alternator voltage is being detected as a bad cable. Note that my vehicle does have a smart alternator. But again, my setup was working just fine prior to the update. I was getting the full 750W to the goal zero with the Yeti Link in Tank mode without faults.

Once the Yeti link faults and flashes Red it is limited 20A max charge rate. Occasionally if the voltage remains stable (on the AGM feed battery) the fault will clear and the Yeti Link will begin to operate back to the max 750W rating. Once the vehicle is off and the AGM battery is disconnected from the vehicle charging system, the AGM voltage remains constant. After a certain time the Yeti Link does recover from the fault and begins to charge from the AGM as it normally would.

Answers

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @sunfuel,

Due to the firmware update, you will need to leave the Yeti in car mode in order for the voltage fluctuation to not effect charging the Yeti. In tank mode, the impedance must be constant (or voltage) in order for this error to not appear. Since the voltage is constantly swinging, you will get this error in tank mode. The only fix would be to have the link in car mode while the car is running and then in tank mode when the car is off.

The reason we placed this feature is because when the impedance is not constant it could be a hazard as it typically means that there is an unseated connection.