Using a 3000X to power a Class C

Options
AlChadwick
AlChadwick Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

Hi There. New owner of a Yeti 3000X. I am trying to use it to power our Class C motorhome (2023 Forest River Forester 3011DS) while we boondock. I plug the RV AC cord into the Yeti 100 outlet (using a 30A to 15A plug dongle) and make sure that the inverter is on. However the power control panel in the RV says “no service”. None of the 110 outlets in the RV work. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Answers

• AlChadwick
    Options

OP additional info: I charged the Yeti to 99% before we left and have used it to charge portable devices so far on the trip. It is (was) at 90% when we plugged the RV AC cable to it.

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @AlChadwick,

When you turn the inverter on, does the output portion of the display increase to in between 6-8?

If you plug in a 120V device directly into it (such as a lamp) does it power that device?

• AlChadwick
    Options

With the inverter off, output displays 0.0 amps. With inverter on, output displays 0.7 amps.

I plug a 120V light in and it lights (when inverter is on).

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    Options

Hi @AlChadwick,

When you have the RV AC Plug connected to the Yeti, does the AC button light stay on? Does it turn red after a certain amount of time? Or does it turn off?

It sounds like the inverter on the Yeti is working, so we just want to make sure there isn't something else causing this.

• AlChadwick
    Options

Hi, the white light turns on and stays on.

thanks!

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    Options

Hi @AlChadwick,

It may be possible that the cable you are suing to convert the connection types is not working. Have you tried a different cable? This could potentially fix the issue.

• AlChadwick
    Options

I am using the manufacturer’s supplied RV cable and a 30A plug to 15A plug dongle. When I plug that setup into a std 120v 15A outlet (e.g. at the campground) it works fine, so I am confident that the cable/ dongle is working properly.

Thanks!

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    Options

Hi @AlChadwick,

Do you have something similar to the Surge Guard in the photo below? If you do, this could be causing the issue. You will need to plug into the Yeti, make sure the AC port is turned on, and wait to hear a "click". This could take 10 minutes or so. If you do not hear the click within 10 minutes or so, you may need to bypass the surge guard.

If you don't have something like this, please follow up and we can look into it further.

• AlChadwick
    Options

As far as I can tell, no. I do not visually see one, and I searched through the owners manual and found that they (Forest River) recommends that I use an external one (which I am not - at least yet :| ), so my working assumption is that the unit does not have one.

Thanks!

• AlChadwick
    Options

Hello, I have another data point to add. I purchased a surge protector. When I plug it into the Yeti, the lights (on the surge protector) indicate that it has power but that it has an open ground.

thanks!

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    edited February 27
    Options

Hi @AlChadwick,

Please reach out to our solution center through the link below for further troubleshooting. They will be able to assist further with this. Please include as much information as possible about the set up you have and if possible, pictures and videos would be very helpful.