Yeti Link Vehicle Integration kit with smart alternator

Options
Powderhound82
Powderhound82 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
edited September 2022 in VEHICLE INTEGRATION

I have a 2021 Chevy Colorado Diesel, apparently this vehicle has a "smart" alternator. I installed the vehicle integration kit to charge my Yeti 1000X, but I don't get consistent charging as the alternator only engages when needed to charge the vehicle battery. Has anyone dealt with this or know of a work around? TIA

Comments

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @Powderhound82

While most vehicles manage their battery in nearly identical ways, it has become increasingly common for cars to have slight variations in the way they charge their internal battery system. If you are experiencing slower charging speeds this is due to the integration of smart alternators, which are designed to improve the efficiency of the vehicle and reduce strain on the motor in an idle state. As can be imagined, every manufacturer does this differently. Due to these variances, some of our customers may experience slow charge rates with their Yeti Link when used with a vehicle in a smart alternator configuration. Goal Zero is actively working on a firmware update to address the main concerns regarding the Yeti Link with smart alternator integrations.

• Chuck_935
    Chuck_935 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

It was stated on Sep 2022 that Goal Zero was actively working on a firmware update to address the main concerns regarding the Yeti Link with smart alternator integrations. Is there an update available?

• The_LAW
    The_LAW Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I have a YETI 1000 with the link vehicle integration module that charged perfectly connected to my 2014 Subaru Forester. I recently got a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and ran into the "smart" alternator charge problem with the Link integration issue. I hacked the problem bypassing the battery limitations by hooking up to the accy. battery jump posts and having the headlights on while the engine is running.

• selbord
    selbord Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

please post any type of Updates on the smart alternator integrations regarding the Vehicle Integration Kit. !

• selbord
    selbord Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I feel like an idiot posting on Van Lifer's videos, already have power charger issues, I have a 3000X, and my needs or medical usage not living out there off-road struggling miles away from towns, I feel sick to my stomach posting suggesting the Goal Zero because of Yeti Link Vehicle Integration Kit telling them not to get sucked into the averment's 12v cigarette car charging bull.

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

Hi @selbord,

Thank you for your feedback. We are actively working on getting this issue fixed with our VIK and will update our customers as soon as it is ready.

• GZ_Mutare1
    GZ_Mutare1 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Reseller here in Zimbabwe.

So (from observation) VIK cuts off supply when vehicle voltage drops as smart alternator shuts off.

A simple firmware fix for VIK would be to lower the low voltage cut off to 12.2v.

Victron DC DC charger can be configured in this way via Bluetooth but unfortunately has limited current capabilities.

Is GZ likely to be able to sort this out as this issue has been all over the internet for over 2 years.

I'm thinking a short term solution is to install a 1000w 12DC/15DC charger between battery and VIK.

But why do we have to pay to install something extra (from acompetitir to gz) when it can be sorted in the software.?

Then GZ VIK would be class leader