Lack of schematics and explanation of limits

Options

I just bought a 8400 W home backup kit. I also have 4 panels, the Yeti X 600W Power supply, a 4x High Power Port Connector, 2 x 30 foot High Power Port extension cables and 4 x 200 W Boulders.

What I am trying to figure out is the limitations on a total cable run. I have read on other posts in the community pages (I searched before I asked) that the max cable run should be no longer than 3M because there is a loss of efficiency to the power station. If that's the case why do you sell a 30 foot extension cable?

What I'd like to do is set up my 4 panels and aggregate them into the 4x High Power Port Connector down to one section of 30', daisy chain that into the second section of 30', and then plug that into my Yeti Powerstation but no where in documentation that I've found so far has it said this is a workable configuration NOR does it say that after your initial charge of a Yeti+Batteries that you can charge the entire system through the anderson power poles only.

May we have some clarity on this type of set up please?

Answers

• GOAL ZERO ADMIN
    GOAL ZERO ADMIN Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 633 admin
    Options

HI @LoudounPatriot2022

That discussion you are referencing is not about HPP cables. That customer was asking about a Nomad 10 panel which only has USB output. So the 3M answer was in regard to a USB to USB-C cable. https://community.goalzero.com/discussion/146/length-of-charge-cable-nomad-10#latest

With the set up you have you will want each solar panel to have an extension cable. From there you will connect to the 4x combiner cable. The 4x combiner cable will then plug into the HPP port on the Yeti 6000X. If you were to connect two 30ft HPP cables together to make 60ft there would be about 10-12% efficiency loss. So we typically do not recommend connecting two 30ft cables together. The same would go for the 15ft HPP cables we sell.

The power going through the HPP port on the Yeti 6000X will not charge the Yeti Tanks. The Yeti Tanks can be charged with the included 120 watt power supply that comes with the Yeti Link. The 8mm port on the Yeti Link can only take up to 150 watts and 22v max. The other way to charge the Yeti Tanks is with the Victron 30amp MPPT module. This MPPT module will allow 440watts of input. Which will charge the tanks faster than the included power supply with the Yeti Link. https://www.goalzero.com/products/30-amp-external-mppt-kit?_pos=2&_sid=d1ebd656a&_ss=

Please give us a call or shoot us an email if you have any other questions about your set up.

Phone: 888-794-6250

Email: support@goalzero.com

• LoudounPatriot2022
    LoudounPatriot2022 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

So if the 12% efficiency loss was a cost that was acceptable to setup the 4 panels in a 2 in front and 2 in a row behind the first, have all 4 feed into the 4 x 1 HPP, connect two 30 foot sections of HPP together for 60 feet, could I then use the High Power Port to 8mm connector to feed directly into the Yeti link port so I could feed both the Yeti 6000 and my two batteries?